Monday, August 14, 2017

Diving Diva

So, most of you know that I just got done doing my scuba diving certification. I've shared some on facebook, but I'd like to go into more detail, and I don't want to bore those of you who aren't interested.

So, visibility wasn't amazing either day we were out there. The first day was amazing though. We swam out to the 'big buddha' here in the bay by Hawaii Kai. There are a few others there, two small ones, and another 'big' one that is laying in a sandy area. The Buddhas are incredible in their own right. I love seeing the corals growing on them, and how different they all are.

As we approached the big Buddha, there were three green sea turtles swimmung up and around it. One was a huge one, just MASSIVE! The other two were smaller, then smaller again. They were so perfect and beautiful. And to see them swimming up around the statue like that? Breath taking.

Then, swimming around the crater, we saw a moray eel hiding in a little space under the edge of the crater. He saw us, watched us for a while, and then swam out. He followed us around the edge of the crater as we swam. He was probably 3 feet or more!!

There were so many tropical fish, I couldn't begin to describe them all. Several different types of clown fish, trigger fish, tangs, and so many more. I can't wait to get a camera so that I can get great pictures to share with you guys.

On the second day we swam by the two smaller Buddhas, to the one laying in the sand, then over to the big one. On our second dive (Turtle Cove), we swam over the reef beds, back and forth. The surges were pretty intense!! We swam past a VERY young turtle, and he was SO close to me! It wouldn't have taken much for me to have touched him. Of course, I'd never do that, because it's a $25K fine if you do!!

I wish I could fully describe the utter beauty that is diving. If you haven't, and want to, GO! You won't regret it. I've always had dreams that I could fly or that I could swim underwater and breathe (a la mermaid). Diving is the perfect combination of the two. The current/surges feels like wind against your face, and it feels like 'flying'. Getting to see those creatures in their natural habitat is absolutely incredible. Seeing them in an aquarium, no matter how well done it is, does not even begin to compare to getting to swim next to them.

My door is open, couch is available (and air mattress). Y'all come visit us and go diving with me.

Aloha!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment