Friday, April 6, 2012

Beating the Odds

Okay, something everyone may not know about me. I'm a sucker for people who beat the odds. I'm a huuuuuuuge softie. I'll tell you why. I've had a few family members who were given some very bad news.

I'll start with my Uncle. While I don't have very many remembrances of him, I can't recall a time I ever saw him without a smile on his face. He was diagnosed with leukemia and mental retardation at a young age. He never really had a mental capacity past that of a three year old. He passed away when I was 5. He was 13. It was the first funeral I can remember going to.

I also had a cousin, who I wasn't close to, and didn't see often, but he too, was always a happy person. Brian had cerebral palsy. He passed when he was 18. This is again, someone I cannot recall ever seeing without a smile on his face.

Now - why am I telling you all this? I'll explain. I've met a wonderful young lady out here in California. Her name is Alecia. I'm simply going to copy and paste her story for you.


Alecia was born with Spinal Muscular Atrophy. Also known as SMA. Her parents were told her diagnosis when she was 13 months. Alecia's mother began noticing signs when she was unable to lift her head or showing signs of normal physical child development. At the time that they were given her diagnosis, they were also given the devastating news that Alecia's life expectancy would most likely not surpass 3 years of age. At that time they also said that she would carry no expression like smile or laugh. Her parents refused to agree with this so they resorted to their faith in God. So needless to say here she at the age of 25 married and living life maintaining the SMILES and LAUGHTER that each day brings.
SMA is a genetic disease characterized by progressive degeneration of motor neurons in the spinal cord. The disorder causes weakness and wasting of the voluntary muscles. This weakness is also more severe in the legs than in the arms. In addition, it causes severe scoliosis of the spine. Which is seen in Alecia's case.
At the age of 19 Alecia was blessed to meet and fall in Love with her husband. In her words "Ive never thought marriage would be a part of my life. Having this disease makes life a little more challenging than the normal, but having a companion / life partner / husband / friend wiling to face those challenges with me opened my eyes to see that there is more to life than my disease has promised I cant have :)".
Alecia's husband being a Marine in the United States Military means they travel A LOT and flying is almost not an option. Currently they use a 2 door hatchback where Alecia's husband manually lifts her chair and puts it in the trunk, mind you the wheelchair is 5x her weight. Alecia lays down in the front seat which makes it impossible to see anywhere they are driving. Also making it at times very uncomfortable.

Now, I can tell you a few things I know about Alecia. She has one of the most beautiful smiles I've ever seen, she's so loving, and kind. And, she's beaten the odds already. I'm telling you this, because I have a favor to ask. Alecia and her husband are trying desperately to get a handicap van. They've started fundraising and entered contests. I want to get the word out and help this BEAUTIFUL person get everything she deserves. If you can help in anyway, you can always contact me directly (miasmommy1209@gmail.com), you can vote for her in the contest I'll post in a moment, and you can always pray. 

Help this lady get what she deserves, and vote for her!! Please?


No comments:

Post a Comment