Sunday, January 16, 2011

But for the Grace of God

While we were talking with some friends last night, I realized a few things. First, that I hadn't a clue how many times he'd deployed or how close to not being here he'd come. I've known for some time that I am getting spoiled. I've had my husband with me for over two years. We've never been apart for more than two months at a time. I'm going to get to keep him with me for another two years. By the time he deploys for the very first time, our daughter will be 3, we will have been married for over 4 years, and I won't know what to do with myself.

That being said, I know I can handle it. I'm a big girl. I am a Marine Wife. While some say that 'you married into this life, don't complain about things you knew would happen', it IS hard. I knew when I married him that there would be times apart. I knew that I would have to adjust to being away from my family and everyone I knew. I knew I'd have to adjust to moves. That doesn't make it any easier. The knowing and the reality are two different things. There are women who can't handle this life. It does take a special breed of woman to be a military wife. Some can't even handle the thought of their husband being away for a few weeks at a time, much less months at a time. I know it's going to be hard and I certainly don't look forward to it, but I know I can handle it.

As I told my husband, no matter how much it hurts to let him go, and no matter how much I'll be worried about him every minute he's gone, I wouldn't trade this life for anything. I wouldn't trade being his wife and being apart for a deployment, for being someone else's and having them there always. There is NOTHING that could make me change my mind about our life. I love every minute. I am so very very blessed to have my husband. I love him more than I ever could have imagined.

The life of a military wife is not easy. It is not always fun. It's full of moves, deployments, goodbyes, making new friends every few years, and missing someone at nearly every turn in life. But it's also fun, crazy, exciting, challenging, and amazing. I love my life. I love my  husband. I love my family. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment